Friday, February 19, 2010

25

Yesterday was my birthday.25th birthday.Makes me kinda feel old.25,quarter century,silver anniversary.About half my life has gone by(considering assuming I would be living not more than about 50 odd years).They say at 25,an average person are on their way-settled into a place of their own,having a job and maybe even think of starting a family.But in my case,none of the above is true.No home,no job and no thoughts of starting a family.It surprises me how people think about you differently when you are 25.My mom talked about me getting married after she wished me.Hello!!??As if I was not an eligible bachelor a day before,and became one the day i turned 25.Your uncles and aunties start reminding you of your responsibilities,whereas your younger cousins start taunting you about turning into an old man.The pesky aunties keep questioning you about your relationship status and how they should start looking for a suitable bride for you if you are single.Anyways, I think age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.

This reminds me of the childhood days when birthday was the most anticipated day of the year. Today,its just another day. Back then,it was a pretext to buy new clothes and gifts.Today,there was no such feeling. Back then,I used to wear new clothes to school.Everyone in school wished you and made you feel special,albeit for that one single day. Today,I went to school in the same ragged pair of jeans. No one wished me "Happy Birthday". Back then, I used to distribute chocolates in the entire class.Today, I treated myself to a Snickers bar from the vending machine. Back then, mom used to make special food for me. Today, I was making food for others in the cafeteria. I went out for dinner with friends, but the food tasted nowhere as good as the home cooked food. Back then, friends and family came home to wish you. Today, except my few special friends (love you guys), all I got were the stereotypical one line wishes on facebook and orkut. Back then, dad used to bring cake from Merwans' bakery,careful not to spoil the cake in the train crowd. Today, there is no dad to bring it for me. Even the most exotic cake here does not taste as good as that simple cake which he got. Back then, at the end of the day, I used to think about the year to come ahead and go to sleep. Today, I am thinking about the years gone by and not getting any sleep.How I wish I could get my childhood back. As a child, I wanted to grow up and become an engineer. As an engineer, I want to be young and become a child again.

OK,I think I got a little too nostalgic there.I had a wonderful birthday and still suffering from the after effects(hangover,sore bum, bruised elbows and knees).I would like to thank everyone for their wonderful wishes(even those who forgot and might call/text/scrap after reading this).

PS:I am still accepting gifts.

And yes, I have decided to stop counting at 25. Cheers to another year of midlife crisis.

Here is what one looks like after a birthday bashing.Add the above mentioned after effects and clothes smelling of cake,eggs,juices,syrups,ketchup etc. and that sure makes it a night to remember.

1 comment:

Abi said...

Loved this blog .. specially the cake story ! didnt know u write blogs .. Nice